Allegheny County PFA Procedures

Bookmark and Share

To obtain a PFA, go to the Allegheny County Family and Juvenile Court facility, 440 Ross Street, Room 3030, between 9 and 11 a.m. weekdays. You will see the judge at 1 p.m. to request the order. The court's PFA coordinator and legal advocates will be available to assist you. Neighborhood Legal Services Association (NLSA), which provides free legal service, can provide an attorney to represent most plaintiffs (you) at the final PFA hearing approximately one week later, but you must stay after your 1 p.m. hearing to apply for the free lawyer.

     When Family division is closed on weekday nights or weekends, an Emergency Protection From Abuse Order is available through Night Court, 660 First Avenue, downtown Pittsburgh (next to the new jail), 412-350-3240. You can also get one from your local District Justice after 11:00 a.m. weekdays.

This information was obtained from the brochure "Domestic Violence is a crime" produced by the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh.

  • Testimonials

    Well into her nineties, Mamie gave her grandson Power of Attorney and authorized him to receive her Social Security checks and pay her bills. The grandson failed to pay the rent and convinced Mamie that the landlord was lying when he alerted her to the problem.  ...Read More Here